Shahid Buttar (born July 22, 1974 in London, England) is a constitutional lawyer, independent journalist, digital privacy rights activist, poet and DJ, as well as a former and current candidate for California’s 12th congressional district's legislative seat which geographically represents most of the City and County of San Francisco. Buttar is a graduate of Stanford Law School, and has held director-level positions at the Electronic Frontier Foundation and Defending Rights & Dissent (formerly known as the Bill of Rights Defense Committee).
Early Life[redigér | redigér wikikode]
Buttar was born in London, England, to a Muslim family from Pakistan who fled religious persecution. While he was still young, the family emigrated a second time, to the United States, where Buttar grew up in Rosebud, Missouri. When he was ten years old, his family moved to South Side and later the North Side of Chicago.
Education[redigér | redigér wikikode]
Buttar briefly attended the University of Chicago, but was forced to withdraw due to a foreclosure on his family’s home. After several years, he was able to graduate from Loyola University in Chicago with a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and Creative Writing. He then received his Juris Doctor degree from Stanford Law School in 2003.
While attending Stanford, Buttar served as the executive editor of the Stanford Environmental Law Journal.[kilde mangler] He also served as Larry Lessig's teaching assistant in the realm of constitutional law.[kilde mangler] He also took then part in protests against the Iraq War and against racial profiling.
Advocacy and Activist Career[redigér | redigér wikikode]
2004[redigér | redigér wikikode]
In 2004, Buttar defended Jason West against charges of violating New York's marriage statutes when he wed same-sex couples in his capacity as mayor of New Paltz. West faced nineteen misdemeanor charges and calls for his removal from office. Ultimately, the charges against West were dropped.
While privately employed, Buttar’s legal team successfully litigated campaign finance reform in Shays v. Federal Election Commission.
2011[redigér | redigér wikikode]
During his tenure at Muslim Advocates, Buttar launched a program to combat undercover FBI infiltration of activist groups subsequent ot his Freedom of Information Act request.
2015[redigér | redigér wikikode]
2018[redigér | redigér wikikode]
In his capacity as the Electronic Frontier Foundation’s Director of Grassroots Advocacy, Buttar provided input and commentary that helped shape San Francisco's ban on the use of facial recognition by law enforcement.
2019[redigér | redigér wikikode]
In 2019, Buttar left as a member of the board at The Center for Media Justice, a seat he had held since 2017.[kilde mangler]
Currently[redigér | redigér wikikode]
Campaigns[redigér | redigér wikikode]
2018 Democratic Congressional Primary[redigér | redigér wikikode]
Buttar raised $69,137, 4.99% of from self-financing. He finished third out of six candidates in the 2018 race, earning 17,597 votes – 8.5 percent, while Pelosi won with 68.5 percent of the vote with the Republican candidate Lisa Remmer coming in second with 9.1%, earning 0.6% more votes than Buttar.
2020 Democratic Congressional Primary[redigér | redigér wikikode]
In addition to Buttar, incumbent Nancy Pelosi faced challenges from documentary filmmaker Agatha Bacelar on the Democratic side, as well as two on the Republican; multiple-time CA-12 candidate John Dennis and author, DeAnna Lorraine. Former Massachusetts state representative Tom Gallagher was also in the race for the Democratic Party until February 3, 2020, where he withdrew.
In 2019, Buttar's campaign raised over $366,000, the most of any candidate challenging Pelosi, meanwhile the incumbent's re-election campaign raised just over $4,5 million over the same time span.
In the March 3, 2020 primary, Buttar finished second behind Nancy Pelosi, earning 13.0% of the vote to Pelosi's 74.0%. Due to California's jungle primary rules, which allows two candidates of the same party to go head to head in the general election, Buttar will be the first Democratic general election challenger to Pelosi since 1988.
For his 2020 run, Buttar has been endorsed by progressive organizations such as The People for Bernie Sanders, San Francisco Democratic Socialists of America and Veterans for Bernie, as well as multiple notable individuals including former Senator Mike Gravel, actor Susan Sarandon and activists Cornel West, Shaun King, Cory Doctorow, Jason West and Medea Benjamin.
Discography[redigér | redigér wikikode]
- 2007: Get Outta Your Chair
References[redigér | redigér wikikode]
- Romero, Joaquin (2019-09-05). "An 'intersectional feminist' challenges Nancy Pelosi". Capitol Weekly. Hentet 2020-02-27.
- Karlis, Nicole (2020-03-02). "Why Shahid Buttar has a real shot at primarying Nancy Pelosi from the left". Salon (engelsk). Hentet 2020-03-04.
- Borland, Kyle (27 February 2020). "Shahid Buttar Must Defeat Nancy Pelosi". Current Affairs. Hentet 28 February 2020.
- Bajko, Matthew S. (2018-05-23). "Political Notebook: Progressive lawyer and DJ aims to take on Pelosi". The Bay Area Reporter (engelsk). Hentet 2019-12-08.
- "Board of Directors". Defending Rights & Dissent (engelsk). Hentet 2019-12-08.
- Albanese Jr., Giovanni (2019-04-30). "Pakistani American Activist Shahid Buttar Challenging Nancy Pelosi for CA 12th Congressional District Seat in 2020". India West.
- Waxmann, Laura (2019-12-06). "Civil liberties lawyer files to take on Pelosi". The San Francisco Examiner (engelsk). Hentet 2020-02-28.
- Graf, Alex (2019-07-23). "Challengers of Most Powerful Democrats: Shahid Buttar & McKayla Wilkes". The Globe Post (engelsk). Hentet 2020-03-04.
- Schatz, Bryan (9 August 2019). "The Impractical, Unsophisticated, Very Necessary Long-Shot Campaign to Unseat Nancy Pelosi". Mother Jones. Hentet 28 February 2020.
- "Political Notebook: Progressive lawyer and DJ aims to take on Pelosi". The Bay Area Reporter (engelsk). Hentet 2019-09-27.
- Feinstein, Mike (2012-11-24). "Shahid Buttar - Green Mayor Jason West/Movement for Gay Marriage 2004". YouTube. mfeinsteintube via YouTube. Hentet 2020-02-28.
- Uhlmann, Natascha Elena. "Meet Shahid Buttar, Pelosi's Left-Wing Challenger". Jacobin (engelsk). Hentet 2020-02-10.
- "FindLaw's United States DC Circuit case and opinions.". Findlaw (engelsk). Hentet 2019-12-08.
- Utgoff, Maggie (2015-10-02). "Meet Shahid Buttar: Helping EFF Fight for Digital Rights in Your Hometown". Electronic Frontier Foundation (engelsk). Hentet 2019-12-08.
- Stelzer, Andrew (2019-03-25). "Writing the Rules on Data Privacy in S.F. Could Disrupt the Disrupters". San Francisco Public Press. Hentet 2019-09-28.
- Hatmaker, Taylor (2019-05-14). "San Francisco passes city government ban on facial recognition tech". TechCrunch (engelsk). Hentet 2020-02-28.
- Fodnotefejl: Ugyldigt
<ref>-tag; ingen tekst er angivet for referencer med navnet
- Fodnotefejl: Ugyldigt
<ref>-tag; ingen tekst er angivet for referencer med navnet
- NW, The Center for Responsive Politics 1300 L. St; Washington, Suite 200; info, DC 20005 telelphone857-0044. "Also-ran Candidate". OpenSecrets (engelsk). Hentet 2019-12-08.
- "Statement of Vote" (PDF). California Secretary of State. June 5, 2018. Hentet 2019-12-08.
- "MEET DEANNA – Deanna for Congress". www.deannaforcongress.com. Hentet 2019-12-08.
- "Meet Tom Gallagher, the Democratic Socialist Challenging Nancy Pelosi in 2020". Common Dreams (engelsk). Hentet 2020-02-09.
- "Announcing my withdrawal from the congressional race" (engelsk). Tom Gallagher. Hentet 2020-02-09.
- "REPORT OF RECEIPTS AND DISBURSEMENTS, Shahid Buttar for Congress Committee, YEAR-END Report". Federal Election Commission (engelsk). 2020-01-31. Hentet 2020-02-10.
- "California District 12 2020 Race Summary Data". OpenSecrets (engelsk). Hentet 2020-02-10.
- "REPORT OF RECEIPTS AND DISBURSEMENTS, Nancy Pelosi for Congress, YEAR-END Report". Federal Election Commision (engelsk). 2020-01-31. Hentet 2020-02-10.
- Fang, Lee (2020-03-04). "Nancy Pelosi to Receive First Genuine Left-Wing Challenge in 30 Years". The Intercept (engelsk). Hentet 2020-03-10.
- "Nancy Pelosi - Elections - Ballotpedia". Ballotpedia. Hentet 2020-03-04.
- ""After several conversations with him, Sen. Gravel is pleased to announce his endorsement of @ShahidForChange for California's 12th Congressional District. Shahid stands against endless wars abroad and for true democracy at home. Vote Shahid!"". Twitter. @GravelInstitute via Twitter. 2020-01-08. Hentet 2020-02-28.
- Wilkins, Brett (2020-02-26). "'Not Looking to Keep Pelosi': Why Susan Sarandon Is Endorsing Berniecrat Shahid Buttar for Congress". Common Dreams. Hentet 2020-02-28.
- Doctorow, Cory (2019-07-27). "Shahid Buttar: the civil rights cyberlawyer and community organizer who's challenging Pelosi from the left #ShahidVsPelosi". BoingBoing. Hentet 2020-02-28.
- "Get Outta Your Chair – Shahid Buttar". AllMusic (engelsk). Hentet 2020-02-28.